Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Mustard Pickled Eggs

How about whipping up a batch of these Mustard Pickled Eggs for Father's Day! They are something totally different from the Amish Pickled Red Beet Eggs I made at Easter. I read the recipe originates in Ohio from the Amish and love the great natural yellow color! This pic is after marinating for three days.
Pin It
I can taste the mustard and there's no doubt it's a pickled egg:@)
They would make an amazing egg salad sandwich or a colorful addition diced on top of potato salad.
I made a three egg test batch in a pint jar with a half recipe of the brine.
Five eggs would easily fit into a pint jar.

Pickled Eggs with Mustard-from gazette.com
2 C white vinegar
2 Tblsp mild mustard-I used plain yellow prepared mustard
1/2 C water
1 C sugar
1 Tblsp salt
1 Tblsp celery seed
1 Tblsp mustard seed
6 whole cloves-the spice
1/8 tsp turmeric-optional-my addition to bump up the yellow color naturally
2 onions, sliced thin
12 hard boiled eggs, peeled
  1. Add everything except onions and eggs to sauce pan, bring to a boil, mix well (I used a whisk), reduce to simmer for 10 minutes.
  2. Remove from heat and cool.
  3. Layer onions and eggs in jar, cover with pickle brine. 
  4. Cover with lid, place in fridge, let marinate at least 24 hours.
Have a happy day:@)

I'm Joining:
Transformation Thursday
Tutorials, Tips and Tidbits

15 comments:

  1. These look amazing...Mr. Sweet is the egg eater in our family so he would LOVE these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The red ones I've seen, yellow like this is new to me. I think I'll try these...so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I'd eaten every thing imaginable pickled but this one has been under the radar for me. I do love beet pickled eggs and just might have to give this one a try as well.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. my father would have liked these. eek!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of Amish Pickled Eggs, but they sound good. When we lived in Ohio, we would camp near Amish country, at Mohican State Park, and we loved to drive through the area and see their beautiful farms. Thanks for sharing the recipe, Lynn. Amish food is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never tried pickled eggs but the do look interesting.
    Merle...........

    ReplyDelete
  7. They would make for a wonderful egg salad!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love pickled eggs but never imagine mustard pickled eggs. I am interested!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love mustard --my husband does not--so if I made these they would be all mine, Lynn. That would not be a bad thing -- they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never seen these. My family loves pickled eggs with beets, maybe I'll run these by them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When you say 6 cloves in the ingredients, do you mean 6 actual cloves (as in the spice) or 6 garlic cloves? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are wonderful! My son makes them often, without onions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How long do they last in the fridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry but I really don't know. I just make a few eggs at a time so they don't last long.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!